Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fort Chaffee, 1975



I ran after them,
The other children who looked like me.
We ran under the night sky lit with stars,
Under a canopy that stretched on forever.
I felt the breeze in the open air
With the giant movie screen.
I saw figures grouped on tufts of grass in the dirt field.
Their heads inclined upwards at the moving pictures.
I did not know then
Watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,
Where I would go next.
I followed the other children,
Leaping through the night air
As we passed the barracks and the commissary to our homes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The joy you experienced endures as do the places in your journey. "...and I will leave. But the birds will stay,singing: and my garden will stay,with its green tree,with its water well. Many afternoons the skies will be blue and placid,and the bells in the belfry will chime,as they are chiming this very afternoon. The people who have loved me will pass away,and the town will burst anew every year. But my spirit will always wander nostalgic in the same recondite corner of my flowery garden." El Viaje Definitivo, Juan Ramon Jimenez